Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Making a change

As some of you may know I plan to go cloth with my children.  For those of you not in the know of what that means it means I'm ditching my disposable diapers for cloth diapers.  It's cheaper in the long run, it's better for the environment, and they're cute as all hell.

I spent years considering this.  I spent years talking to everyone I know about what I'm getting myself into.  I hate using disposable diapers.  It gives my children rashes and it's horrible for the environment.  I like the planet I live on and would like to do right by it.

However I'm completely afraid I'm going to screw this up.  Standing on the outside looking in it seems complicated and confusing.  There are rules about how you're supposed to wash them.  I'm sure some of this is fanatics making it seem more than it is, but to us on the outside it's overwhelming.  I want to do this, but it's like thinking you have to jump in ice water.  You stand there as long as you possibly can because it's going to be a shock and you know you're going to be overwhelmed.  I'm sure at first I'm going to screw up at least a little...I think.  Either that or it will come naturally to me.  I don't know.  I just needed a push.  I'm sure I'll thank the people who pushed me for it later.  Even the jack asses that got the economy to the point where the reason I'm finally really doing this is so I can stop buying disposables and start using that money toward things like food and clothing.

I just had to write this out because I feel like I'm going crazy.  I feel like I'm going to disappoint myself and I feel very anxious about the whole situation.  I feel like any time I ask questions I'm being stupid.  I know I'm being hard on myself, but you can't help how you feel.  As soon as I get my stash I'll start posting about the different diapers I got and how things are going with them.  I'm going to start with Lily because she needs less diapers than Ella does.  Soooo, wish me luck?

3 comments:

  1. Best of luck!

    And think a little less about what can go wrong and try to think a little more about how awesome it can be. :) I'm going through this myself, but with menstrual products.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you.

    I already switched my bra liners and the cloth ones are so much nicer than the disposable ones. I just could use a few more.

    I tend to get overwhelmed when it comes to change. Which unfortunately is something I passed down to my son.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I SO remember feeling this way! I remember telling a good friend, "I just want to find one brand, one diaper, that is like a disposable, and stick with it!" It was well worth it in the end, but it was scary at first. Remember, go slowly and it doesn't have to be all or nothing! ;)

    P.S. I hate change too!

    ReplyDelete