Thursday, July 14, 2011

Dedrick Paul

I was going to write the 10 truths to motherhood, but I can't.  Motherhood is something that is an individual experience and my truths might not be your truths.  Besides some of mine are private and I don't care to share them.  I will however write a blog entry about each of my children.  One entry per child starting with the oldest.

Dedrick was my ultimate oops child.  I found out I was pregnant after getting out of an abusive relationship.  Pregnancy with him was hell.  I'm sure if he hadn't been my first he would have been my last.  It didn't seem to matter what I ate it came back up.  I went through 6 months of this.  I ate a lot of peanut and jelly sandwiches because it was one of the few things I could really keep down.  Honestly, I had originally been hoping for a girl, but in the end I just wanted him to be healthy.

He is so smart.  He's so smart that he's almost too smart for his own good.  He's clever, thoughtful, emotional, and loving.  He dotes on his sisters and even though he's awful for chores he tends to think of other people first.  He's also stubborn and willful.  He's a perfectionist and if he messes up he tends to give up.  It's something we're working on.

He loves outdoor science.  He loves learning about animals and their habitats.  He asks a million and a half questions.  He can come up with some crazy questions.  He knows so much about dinosaurs that half the time I just kind of nod and smile.  I don't know what dinosaur he's talking about, but he's really excited about it.  He will tell anyone that is willing to listen to him random facts about animals that he's learned about.  He told his cousin about fireflies because they were catching them on the 4th of July.

He can drive me up a wall with his unwillingness to clean sometimes or his hatred of vegetables.  His enthusiasm for cooking makes up for that though.  He wants to help, he wants to be involved, and he's going to ask you a dozen questions.  He's definitely his own person and he tends to do his own thing.  I hope he stays that way.

2 comments:

  1. So true about Motherhood and it's truths being different for each person! Your son sounds amazing and I love his name! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I couldn't pick a middle name for him until the day he was born. I love his name.

    ReplyDelete