Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Easter is coming

How do you feel about the Easter bunny?  How do you handle the "candy situation"?  Does your family give your children too much candy for the holiday?  How do you handle it?

I am not a huge fan of Easter.  For me it's a wasted holiday.  That might be because I'm Agnostic, but I don't like it.  Actually I don't like most holidays.  I celebrate them because I have children who love holidays.  Not to say I don't like to celebrate things.  I just don't like to be compelled to do so.  I also don't appreciate it when my inlaws treat me like I'm an idiot because I don't know when Good Friday is.  I don't care about Good Friday.  Good Friday can kiss my ass.

For me I'd dislike the day if I didn't suddenly have much more candy than I would ever need in my house.  My strategy?  I throw out a piece of candy every day.  Yes, I throw away candy.  Two gallon sized containors of candy is way too much candy for two children.  Add to that anything my MIL decides to give them as well.  I like the egg hunting.  It's cute.  I can understand the want to use plastic eggs.  What I don't understand is why they need so much candy?

How much candy do you give?  How into Easter are you?  Do you have any special Easter traditions?

We don't give candy for Easter.  We give out a small toy or in the case of one year I got Dedrick a Packers Jersey that I found on clearance.  We stopped giving candy after my first year in the family because it was just way too much.  I want to trade some of the candy for the toy I give, but Greg says no because we hardly have candy in the house to begin with.  Whatever....I guess I'm just a health nut....or a sensible mother.  You decide...I'll still throw away candy even if you think I'm a health nut.  I'm just stubborn that way.

5 comments:

  1. For now, we're doing the Easter bunny thing. My mother tends to send candy down, so we may use a little of that, or not at all. Usually, we'll buy some jelly beans and put a few fun things in the basket. Nothing too big. We throw away about 90% of the candy my mother sends for the kids--and believe me, she sends them candy Every. Chance. She. Gets.

    As an atheist, I love Easter. It's a holiday named after a pagan goddess and is a celebration of fertility (and prolific fertility at that). All of the symbols...bunnies and eggs? Yeah, nothing to do with Zombie Jesus™ at all. Any holiday based on sex and chocolate is A-OK by me! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun. Children don't NEED candy. They like it, but they don't need it.

    I didn't think of it that way.

    Honestly I only really like one holiday and that's Turkey Day. It's about the family and good food. It's a very simple holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't hate candy. I like it. I like it too much. Sooo...I try to keep it out of the house as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While we are religious and we do celebrate Easter, in one sense I too see it as a wasted odd holiday. But I'm kind of like that about a lot of holidays. ;) Anyway, this is the first year we have talked of doing an Easter Basket for the kids. I'm not sure if we will, but it has been talked about. I just hate all that candy, as I know they don't "need" it!

    ReplyDelete