Friday, April 1, 2011

Hair stereotypes and the fall out they cause

The dumbest thing Greg and I argue about is hair.  Did you know that hair can cause arguments that makes you want to throw things at a wall because it's just that ridiculous?  The lack of evidence and assumptions are enough to make you want to pull YOUR hair out.

As some of you may have heard/noticed/whatever it appears that my youngest daughter will have some shade of red hair.  I wanted a red haired child because it's something different.  Most of the people in my family have brown hair.  Apparently my inlaws think I'm crazy because red heads are difficult, red heads don't listen, red heads are extremes, and I'll get all my grey hairs from this small child.  Greg tells me he should know because both of his sisters have red hair.

Your family is the worst example to go by.  I've met them.  I know other red heads.  It's a STEREOTYPE.  Stereotypes are assumptions people make about another group.  I also know that if you treat someone like you expect a certain behavior from them they won't fail to produce.  It's basic Psychology 101.  Even the basest of people realize that.  Just like I was told I would regret wanting a daughter.  Do I regret it?  No.  As a matter of fact right now Lily is the easiest of my children to deal with.

Assumptions, stereotypes, and the like just annoy me to no end.  This is a point of contention for us.  I just don't know how to convince him how stupid it is.  Then again him being as stubborn as he is he just brushes it off.

I'm not crazy.  I refuse to believe that me thinking red heads could possibly be something other than bitchy is crazy.  His sisters are bitchy because his mother is bitchy.  She has never been a red head.  Case closed.

3 comments:

  1. Oh man. It's crazy what some people believe, isn't it?

    Both of mine had reddish hair when born; Ethan's was more pronounced then Evie's. Sadly, it has turned a "bronde" color as they've aged and their hair is almost exactly like mine was. So they're looking to have light brunette hair with some red highlights when the sun hits it correctly.

    First hair color is often not an indicator of future hair color. So you can let Greg know that there is hope yet. /eyeroll

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dedrick and Lily had black hair at birth. They now have dark brown hair, but still it's now brown and not black.

    As much as I wanted a red haired child I'm now hoping it will change just so she won't be subjected to his family's opinion of how she SHOULD act.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with ya! :-) As a redhead, I'm the calmest and most easy-going of my siblings (who are all blonde and blue eyed). I have a temper, but it flares once in a blue moon. My mom was gray long before my birth (so I certainly didn't cause her's)... :-D

    But you're right... People grow into what you expect of them. And if you want her to be difficult and wild, she'll figure that out! :-D

    ReplyDelete