Sunday, April 3, 2011

Your sanity...you need it

Dear mothers,
It's okay to take a break from your children.  It's okay to want to be away from your children.  Don't let people make you feel guilty because sometimes you wish they would go away.  If they spent all of their time around someone all the time they'd want that person to go away as well.

I periodically send Greg on "urgent" errands with the children just to get them out of the house.  Do I feel bad about it?  I used to and then I got over it.  I realized I'm a better parent when I get time to myself.  I need time where it's quiet to get my thoughts together.  Time where I'm not running around trying to do 3 things at the same time.  Actually everyone needs time like that.

So, tell the people who try to tell you that you should want to spend every waking moment tending to your child to get a life!  Eventually they're going to grow up and if you spent all your time being a mother you'd have nothing left when they move on with their lives.  That's a situation I don't want to end up in.
                                                                      Much love,
                                                                      A mostly sane mother

3 comments:

  1. Yes. The idea that motherhood should be all-consuming and a sacrifice of self is disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is it that makes mothers fearful of leaving their child? Or at least taking even a 5 minute break? Is it fear of judgement from other moms?? Great reminder Laurie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit I felt kind of dorky writing it because it's kind of one of those "this should be common sense" things, but I had just sent Greg to the store with the older two for things we "desperately" needed. The quiet was awesome.

    ReplyDelete