Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Family issues

When I was a little girl I had a favorite Uncle.  He was the best Uncle anyone could have and the best father from what I could tell.  I still love that Uncle, but he's not the same person he used to be.  The years have changed him and in many ways it has not changed him for the better.

He is more distant.  It's almost impossible to get in touch with him.  As a matter of fact I have no idea how I would contact him if I ever really needed to tell him anything.  This makes me very sad because I remember how he was and I miss the person he was.

I actually saw him today.  I'm grateful because that means he's still working.  He's working on the road I live on.  I thought I saw him last week, but I wasn't fully sure.  I saw him while waiting for my son's bus this morning.  I knew it was him because he had to get out to put a cone by the road.  I knew him by the way he walked and his signature beard.  There is no mistaking him.

However, I couldn't help wondering if he recognized me and especially if he recognized my son.  I waved and he waved back, but it was a small polite wave.  It's been years since I've actually seen him in person.  Though the last news I had heard of him was that he had gotten in a motorcycle accident.  Clearly, he's doing much better now....well, at least physically better.  I just hope that when he gets past the things that are adding drama to his life that he'll feel it's okay to let his family back into his life.  We miss him.

Do you have any relatives that have estranged themselves?  How do you handle it?  Did they eventually come back?

No comments:

Post a Comment