Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Things my daughter taught me.


Before I had Lily I didn't want a girl.  I was afraid if I had a girl that she would be highly girly and I wouldn't know how to relate to her.  I mean after all I was rough and tumble.  Don't you need boys to be rough and tumble with?

My cousin Alesha helped me start to realize that was not the case.


However, it was the birth of my daughter that really cemented the case for me.  She's a well rounded individual without limitations.  She likes things because she likes them.  She doesn't stick to "girl" things or "boy" things.  I feel like I learn more from her than she does from me some days.

Cliche?  Yes.  Does that make it any less true? No.  Here are some things I've learned from having a daughter.
  • Having a daughter can be awesome.  Actually having a daughter is awesome.
  • You can have just as much fun in a dress as you can in jeans.
  • Wanting to play the princess doesn't mean wanting to be rescued.  Sometimes playing the princess just means wearing a dress while you rescue the prince.
  • It's okay to want to be pretty and being pretty doesn't make you weak.
  • Just because you have a girl doesn't mean you won't end up dodging pee.
  • People are going to tell you that you shouldn't let your daughter do a laundry list of things.  Most of those things are kind of dumb if you really think about it.
  • Just because you have a daughter doesn't mean you can't wrestle with her.
  • Her being a girl doesn't mean she's going to be gentle.  My SO has bruises from the fact Lily plays so rough.
Having a daughter has made me realize more about myself and has helped me come to peace with my own femaleness.  I needed her just as much as she needs me.  I'm just glad I was able to realize that.

No comments:

Post a Comment