Thursday, October 6, 2011

When a celebrity dies



Yesterday Steve Jobs died.  I am sad.  Actually, I'm very sad.  While, I myself have never actually owned an Apple product, I cannot deny the impact he's had on my life.  He pushed technology and the people that make our products to new heights.  I don't doubt that without him we might not have the Google Phone or other products that were inspired by his products.  The big thing is a lot of us don't remember a world without Steve.  He has always been in our lives on one level or another.

Which, brings me to my point.  When someone like Steve Jobs dies it reminds us of our own mortality.  This person that seemed larger than life can die.  It scares people.  It reminds them that no matter how powerful or how rich they are that eventually they too are going to die.  That's a very scary thought.  The beyond is scary no matter how sure you are of heaven or the lack there of dying is scary.  So, when someone so famous dies it's something that you can't avoid.  It's all over the news.  You can't ignore their death like you could when it involves someone else you don't know.

So, I guess in a way when someone so famous dies we're not just mourning that person.  We're mourning the reminder of our own mortality.  That's pretty much what I'm saying.

2 comments:

  1. It's awful that he died so young and in such a horrible way. No matter how rich you are, you can not pay cancer away.

    Mr. Jobs will definitely be missed. There are so many amazing quotations connected to him and he impacted so many aspects of our daily lives. The first personal computer I remember my family owning was an Apple; I believe this was before IBM hit the scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does explain how he went from what he was to being so frail. I didn't realize how intelligent he was until I started seeing his quotes pop up after he died.

    ReplyDelete