Friday, September 2, 2011

Enough is enough

After an incident at a family birthday party I'm saying enough is enough.  I'm sick of moms trying to make other moms feel guilty about their choices.  I already feel enough guilt on my own, thank you.  Why is it instead of being supportive we feel the need to belittle each other because of our choices?

I can't judge you for your choices because I don't live your life.  It's not my place to make you parent the way I do.  It's not my place to tell you whether you should go to work, stay home with your children, homeschool, or send your kids off to school.  These are all personal choices.  I can't tell you whether to vaccinate, what foods you should feed your children, or what foods you should avoid.  Every life situation is different and I try not to judge.  I try to mind my own business because honestly you never know.

I circumcised my son.  Yes, I did it willingly even.  Did I regret the choice later?  Somewhat.  Did I make that choice without having thought about it first?  No.  I thought about it a lot.  Out of the three relatives that I know of that didn't get circumcised as an infant, all three had to be circumcised later in life.  All of them were closely related to me even.  I didn't want this to be something Dedrick would have to go through later on in life.  I'm also glad that my last two children were girls because it's something I would never want to have to decide ever again.  It's a hard decision and I still feel guilty about it sometimes.  I don't need someone else telling me that I should feel bad about it.  I'm plenty good at doing that for myself.

I wish I could afford Daycare because I think my children could use the social interaction.  I live in a rather rural area and getting to play dates is not easy.  I wish I could live closer to town sometimes, but at the same time I like that I have plenty of land for them to play on.

All I'm saying is being a mother comes with enough guilt as it is.  We don't need to compound that situation by criticizing each other just because the other mom isn't doing what you think is right for your children.

1 comment:

  1. Don't let other moms get you down. Women can be so cruel. I've definitely felt judged on some of my choices (cloth diapering, natural birth) and my baby isn't even here yet!

    ReplyDelete